Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

'A Wrinkle in Time' Turns 50 and Follows Me Around

Is it a cosmic coincidence that I featured Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me as my Marvelous Middle Grade Monday pick yesterday? I'll have to ask Mrs. Whatsit.

A Wrinkle in Time has been popping up everywhere lately, and it wasn't until I listened to this All Things Considered segment that I realized why. The kidlit classic is turning 50 this year!

In honor of the first book to successfully introduce quantum physics to children's literature, here are some of the imaginative covers that have graced the front of Madeleine L'Engle's words over the years.



Did you know that L'Engle wrote A Wrinkle in Time in just three months? Make sure you check out that NPR segment - it details the book's rocky path to publication, interview's the author's granddaughter as well as Stead, and reveals other neat facts.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading A Wrinkle in Time when I was a child. I read somewhere that it took two years for a publisher to take on the book. So it just goes to show that multiple rejections won't stop a book from being published if the author is persistent (and if the book is good).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I've never read this book. I KNOW. *hangs head in shame* I will plan to read it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the cover retrospective. I think that I have seen all of these at one time or another. I do like the 50th anniversary edition one, which is basically the orginal in a different color.

    ReplyDelete