Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, February 6, 2012

Marvelous MG Monday: My Very Unfairy Tale Life

To find out more about Marvelous Middle Grade Monday, click here.
Title:   My Very Unfairy Tale Life
Author
Anna Staniszewski (link)
Genre: Contemporary Fantasy
Pub Date: November 2011

Synopsis: Is your magical kingdom falling apart? Twelve-year-old Jenny is on the case, whether she likes it or not. Saving the world might sound exciting, but for Jenny it’s starting to get old — even staying in the real world long enough to take a math test would be a dream come true! And when you throw in bloodthirsty unicorns, psychotic clowns, and the most useless gnome sidekick ever, Jenny decides that enough is enough. She’s leaving the adventuring business and not looking back. Or…is she?


First Line: You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies. 

I loved this book! Loved!! It's a sweet, enjoyable read with new twists on typical fairytale elements. The story slips easily between the magical and real world, and Jenny's struggles in both push the plot forward in a complementary way.

The Big Bad: So, some people *clears throat* are a wee bit afraid of clowns. Not that I know any of them... I'm just saying. The story's villain, Klarr, not only has a great name - he's also a scary, insane clown. Most kids won't find this as terrifying as I did, but then, most kids didn't read It in fourth grade.

Why You'll Love Jenny: If your favorite main characters are the sassy, take-charge type, then Jenny will rock your fairytale world. She's no damsel in distress, and has the brains and courage to save the day.

More MMGM love:

5 comments:

  1. Looks like we have the same love for this book! Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stopping by from Rache's campaign. Looks like we both write for kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read lots of good things about this book. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen King's IT scared me to death! Do you think that's why so many people are afraid of clowns?

    I've heard about My Very UnFairy Tale Life before, possibly from another MMGM blogger. Sounds like a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! Why would you read IT in 4th grade? O_O
    Other than that though, this is a great recommendation. I'm going to have to put it on my list to read.

    ReplyDelete