Title: My Very Unfairy Tale Life
Author: Anna Staniszewski (link)
Genre: Contemporary Fantasy
Pub Date: November 2011
Synopsis: Is your magical kingdom falling apart? Twelve-year-old Jenny is on the case, whether she likes it or not. Saving the world might sound exciting, but for Jenny it’s starting to get old — even staying in the real world long enough to take a math test would be a dream come true! And when you throw in bloodthirsty unicorns, psychotic clowns, and the most useless gnome sidekick ever, Jenny decides that enough is enough. She’s leaving the adventuring business and not looking back. Or…is she?
First Line: You know all those stories that claim fairies cry sparkle tears and elves travel by rainbow? They're lies. All lies.
I loved this book! Loved!! It's a sweet, enjoyable read with new twists on typical fairytale elements. The story slips easily between the magical and real world, and Jenny's struggles in both push the plot forward in a complementary way.
The Big Bad: So, some people *clears throat* are a wee bit afraid of clowns. Not that I know any of them... I'm just saying. The story's villain, Klarr, not only has a great name - he's also a scary, insane clown. Most kids won't find this as terrifying as I did, but then, most kids didn't read It in fourth grade.
Why You'll Love Jenny: If your favorite main characters are the sassy, take-charge type, then Jenny will rock your fairytale world. She's no damsel in distress, and has the brains and courage to save the day.
- Shannon Whitney Messenger-Ramblings of a Wannabe Scribe
- Jennifer Rumberger-Children's Author
- Joanne Fritz-My Brain on Books
- Danika Dinsmore-The Accidental Novelist
- Shannon O'Donnell-Book DreamingMyrna Foster-The Night Writer
- Sherrie Petersen- Write About Now
- Natalie Aguirre-Literary Rambles
- Brooke Favero-Somewhere in the Middle
- Ally Beecher- Kid Lit Frenzy
- Barbara Watson-Novel and Nouveau
- Anita Laydon Miller-her middle grade blog
- Michael G-G-Middle Grade Mafioso
- Jessica Lei-her blog
- Pam Torres-So I'm Fifty
- Akoss-Nye Louwon – My Spirit | a search for the writer in me
- Gabrielle Prendergast-Angelhorn